Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Angie got sick

Angie has got sick since Wednesday night, April 29. When I arrived home from teaching around 9pm, she covered herself with a blanket while that night it was a bit hot and damp in Semarang. She usually couldn’t stand the heat.
Realizing my presence, she then whispered, “Will you prepare some hot water for me to take a shower tomorrow morning, Mama?”
I directly understood she did not feel well.
In the middle of that night when her hand touched me, I knew she got sick, so I said, “You don’t need to go to school tomorrow honey. Just stay home.”

***

Thursday morning I asked my sister to take Angie to a clinic called, “Klinik 24 Jam” located only around 200m from our home. I couldn’t take Angie there by myself because at 7am I have to already arrive at the office. My sister luckily had to leave for her office at 10am on that day. That’s what siblings are for? 
(This reminded me of one dearest friend who in 2004 convinced me to have another baby to accompany Angie because he was sure one day Angie would need a sibling.)
No report was sent to me until I went back from the office around 15.00, except Angie asked me to buy her some apples.
Arriving home around 16.00, touching Angie’s forehead, I was shocked because her temperature even got higher than in the morning. The medicine didn’t work on her. Sister said that the young doctor suspected Angie got stressed out and suffered from sore throat only. I myself directly suspected Angie suffered from typhoid.
The first time Angie suffered from this disease three years ago, when she was about to face her final exam at Junior High. Since then, once a year she suffered from it. In fact after the first time she got this kind of disease, I already warned her to take care of her health well, not to make her body very lethargic, not to play under the rain (sometimes she intentionally did that when going home from school it was raining), to pay attention to any food she consumed outside the house, etc.
Around 18.30 that evening I took Angie to a doctor who has a laboratory at his house, so that Angie’s blood was checked too, to make sure what disease she was suffering from.
She got typhoid.
The fourth time.


***

Monday May 4 she forced me to let her go to school to join the final school test (UAS). I failed to persuade her to take a makeup test after she got recovered. Yesterday afternoon her temperature was quite high again. I hurriedly left the office after getting text message from sister about it around 14.15.
Again, I was trying to persuade her to take a makeup test; I believed her temperature increased because she was exhausted to go to school and force herself to think harder to do the test. She was still determined to do her test on schedule.
Today is Tuesday May 5, 2009. This morning when leaving her to the office, I touched her forehead still hot. The whole day I was worriedly waiting for any message from sister.
I arrived home around 15.45. Hurriedly I touched her forehead to check her temperature. Thank God Angie’s temperature has decreased.
She has consumed all medicine from the doctor. I was thinking to take her to the doctor again if her temperature was still high.
Thank God I don’t need to do that.
PT56 18.46 050509

2 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds horrible, hope she doesn't catch it too soon again!

Nana Podungge said...

I hope not, John. :)