Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Angie's Dream

Angie is having her promotion test for about a week, June 5-June 13, 2007. That’s why she asked me to take her to go online on Sunday, to have fun for a while before she has to focus her attention to her test. Unfortunately, the cyber café we regularly visit was close. We had to go to another café. Well, there was another one not really far from the first café, but I could not stand with the smoke because there was only one area: smoking section. 

After waiting for about 10 minutes coz when we arrived all computers were booked, Angie got one computer. Intentionally I didn’t book one for myself because I could not stand inside. While waiting for Angie, I was sitting on an ugly bench in the narrow terrace of the café, scribbling on the cutie, to continue my article: the review of CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER. However, I could not really concentrate on my writing. There were four reasons: firstly, there were two boys sitting next to me, who now and again secretly took a look at the monitor of the cutie, curious what I was scribbling (or amazed to see the cute notebook, as cute as the owner? Wakakakaka … ); secondly, the sound of the vehicles passing by in the street in front of the café easily distracted my attention; thirdly, the battery in the cutie was not full so I was worried if out of the blue the cutie was off automatically. (galak poll dia tuh!!! Segalak yang menghadiahkannya kepadaku. Wakakakaka …) and lastly, the complete data was in the desktop, at home. 

After scribbling for some time, and I realized I couldn’t really concentrate on it, I used the rest of the battery in the cutie to scribble in the diary. I had one book inside my cute backpack, but I was not in a good mood to read, with some people chatting around me and the loud horn of vehicles passing by. Therefore, eventually I decided to enter the café, breathed the air with smoke inside, and sat next to Angie. I didn’t mean to be fussy to find out what she was doing. She is supposed to know that I never forbid her to do anything she wants to do as long as she is responsible with it, and she knows that I will always be by her side, to support her, and be there when she needs me. 

In fact, Angie was busy opening her friendster profile, reading some comments she got, leaving some comments on her friends’ profiles, while at the same time she was looking for some cute pictures of SHREK 3, and watching the video of A WALK TO REMEMBER at www.youtobe.com (FYI, some days ago I borrowed the VCD, but due to the damage in the second CD, we could not watch the complete scenes.) 

In her friendster profile, Angie wrote in the “shout out”, to wish her luck to be promoted to the second (or eleventh) grade, and get accepted at IPA major. She also left similar comments in her friends’ profiles. 

Well, it reminded me of Angie’s telling me about her dream some time ago. She dreamt of being accepted at BAHASA (Language) major. When she told me that dream, I didn’t comment anything. To me, whatever major she will take later is up to her choice and ability. Well, some months ago when she asked my suggestion what major to take, I reminded her of her want—to continue her study in Psychology Department. It means that she had to take IPA major because most universities oblige candidate students to graduate from IPA major to major in Psychology. I myself majored in BAHASA when I was at senior high school because I already set my heart on continuing my study at English Department. 

Inside my heart I wanted Angie to major in IPA, but I didn’t want to force her. It would be very unwise of me. And I couldn’t read what Angie was feeling or thinking when she told me about her dream: she wanted to ask me to let her major in BAHASA, or she told me about her worry. 

 And when I was sitting next to her, accompanying her going online, and finding out her typing that ‘shout out’ and comments at her friendster profile, I could draw a conclusion: she was worried if her dream came true—to get accepted at BAHASA. She has set her heart on majoring in IPA, no matter what her reason is: whether to be able to continue to Psychology Department, or any other thing. She must know her responsibility: to prepare herself as best as she can to do the promotion test. 

I remember my dream—also Angie’s dream—a year ago. I wanted Angie to follow my path: after studying at the same junior high school as me—SMP N 1 Semarang, I wanted her to continue her study at the same senior high school—SMA N 3 Semarang. I was not really sure because Angie suffered from typhus when doing her examination. It means she couldn’t prepare herself maximally. Besides, she was just a mediocre student, not among the brightest ones due to her laziness. Her IQ which is 122 is not really bad, is it? And in fact, OUR DREAM CAME TRUE. Angie is studying at SMA N 3 Semarang now. 

My next dream is Angie continues her study at Gadjahmada University two years again. At the moment, this dream seems somewhat just a dream because I am not really sure if I can support her study there financially. But of course I still have a big hope for this. I remember seven years ago, I visited my ex workmate who was studying at GMU with Angie. When this workmate took me to Gedung Lengkung, the Head Office of Graduate Program, I talked to Angie, “I have been dreaming to come here as a student.” But I was not sure to be able to do that due to the financial constraint. And in fact, two years later, in 2002, I did come to Gedung Lengkung to be one of the Graduate students there. 

Sometimes, miracles do come to us, don’t they? To me, my Abang’s arrival in my life is also one example of miracle. I do hope that Angie will get what she wants. Amen. 

PT56 23.00 040607

5 comments:

Unknown said...

there's more to life than dreaming of education :- at least for me :)

triesti said...

With IQ of 122 (on which scale? I assume Wechler III) she's part of the top 6.7%of the population. She cant join Mensa, but she should've got no trouble at the university.

Nana Podungge said...

What is "Mensa" Triesti? huehehehe ... kuper nih. LOL. LOL.

triesti said...

MENSA is the largest high-IQ society in the world. To join, you need to have IQ higher than 132 on the Stanford-Binet, or 130 on Wechsler.

Nana Podungge said...

I 'stumbled' to this post accidentally today, Wednesday 30 August 2023, 16 years later!

Angie continued her study at Psychology Department of Diponegoro university. right now, my dream is to send her to continue her study at Master's Degree of Psychology Graduate Program of Gadjahmada University.

wish us luck, everybody

16.33 30.8.2023